Sleep is just as essential for the restoration of a healthy body as exercise and good nutrition are.
Few people have never suffered a night without enough sleep. Feeling fatigued, run down, and tired, it’s difficult to study or concentrate on your work. It also tends to be hell on your sense of humor and the ease in which you can enjoy your life!
Some common problems are:
- Trouble falling asleep
- Waking up frequently
- Waking up/not being able to fall back asleep
- Light/poor quality sleep
- Pain/discomfort interrupting sleep.
- Breathing difficulties (sleep apnea)
Common solutions to sleeplessness are:
- Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day.
- In the afternoon/evening cutting out stimulants like nicotine, chocolate and caffeine.
- Limiting naps
- Exercising regularly. Physical activity can increase deep sleep.
- Drinking water through out the day. Going to bed even slightly dehydrated can interrupt your sleep. Drinking water throughout the day can contribute to sleeping soundly.
- Comfortable bedding and sleep wear
- Darken your bedroom. Make it be cool, dark and quiet.
- Winding down for about an hour before going to sleep. Do something relaxing.
- Staying off of electronic devices 1 hour before sleep as they emit a blue light that disrupts your body’s production of melatonin making it difficult to fall asleep.
A word on sleeping aids:
Some are over the counter, some are by prescription only. Some are vitamins, some are minerals. Some are homeopathics, others are herbs. Then there are the products with combinations of these things. They’re all designed to knock you out, and depending on a body’s chemistry and state of function, they all work to a greater or lesser degree.
The hidden cause of many sleeping problems is misaligned vertebra (Subluxations). Some people think that such a misalignment would hurt, but pain is not necessarily present in a lot of cases. These misalignments cause irritation to the spinal nerves which control all bodily functions – including sleep. When you’re sleeping, your consciousness is relatively low – but your body is still functioning in quite important ways in order to rejuvenate itself. All this is regulated by your nervous system.
Chiropractic Doctors show you a chart concerning the effects of misaligned vertebra and how they influence your health and sleep. If you indeed have spinal misalignments, they’ll gently realign the spine – restoring normal function and normal sleep.
A Chiropractor will help you rule out other factors that aggravate insomnia – things such as dietary and nutritional issues.
Often a symptom such as insomnia has more than one source.
To miss one would mean to miss getting you functioning and feeling as good as you can be.
Basic Chiropractic principle: People with sleep apnea don’t need “breathing appliances”, they need their body to breathe as it’s meant to breathe – easily and freely! Respiration is commonly restored with precise Chiropractic care.
Call our friendly office manager, Julie at (323) 663-7736 for your appointment today.
Serving Los Angeles, Glendale, and vicinity.